Earlier this year, I adopted two lovely cats. It’s my first time to have them, and I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to earn their trust.
Get to know my cats here.
One reason we never had cats is that their poop stinks. It was my main since we are living in a condominium. But the original owner of the cats was generous to give me tips on how to take of cats.
Before I adopted them, I researched the cat and found out the feline are clean animals.
They are low maintenance, too; they mind their own business and give you 30 – 60 seconds of affection.
Litter Box is a MUST
Since we said that cats are clean animals, the litter box is a big deal. It is something you may want to invest in as it will make your life so much easier.
One, you must get the right litter box. I first got a small open one, but I found out that my cats have a mix of a Maine Coon, which will make them huge in 52 weeks.
The second is that the covered litter box is necessary too to prevent the smell from spreading out.
The third is to get good sand that can absorb odor and clump liquid for easy cleaning.
A bonus is to get an odor neutralizing agent that will help control the odor.
Baking Soda to control cat litter smell
Another great find from the Pet Express is the Arm and Hammers Cat Litter Deodorizer.
According to the product, it can reduce the cat litter odor in just nine days.
Arms & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer Features
- The Arm & Hammer Baking Soda helps eliminate odour on contact.
- Moisture-activated scent refreshes litter every time your cat uses the litter box.
- It helps prevent urine clamps from sticking to the litter box.
Use it with any litter to add extra protection.
How to use the Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer
- In a clean litter box, pour the product.
- Add litter sand of choice.
- Sprinkle deodorizer on top and mix
- Between litter changes, repeat step 3 to extend the effect.
What I like about this product:
- It is true to its claims. It minimized the smell of the litter box, and it releases the fragrance every time your cat uses its litter box.
- The smell. It smells like a detergent, so it smells clean.
- The effect can last for a week, no need to refill daily (unless you want).
- Hard to find. Not all pet stores carry this product.
Bonus Tip: How to train your cat to use the litter box
- Bring the cat to the litter box.
- Say a command for them to remember. I use “Poops and wiwi here.”
- Rake the sand to mimic the sound that they do when they cover their litter
- Show them how to hide the litter.
More tips: Cleaning your litter box
- Clean it as often as you can. Cats won’t use the litter box unless it is clean.
- Change the sand completely every time to finish a 10L pack of litter sand.
- If you are pregnant (like me), refrain from cleaning the box as the Toxoplasma gondii parasite is terrible for pregnant women.
- I recommend using gloves and a mask when cleaning the litter box.
Is the product worth trying? YES.
If you want to have a cat, I highly recommend adopting, especially as most of the animals lost their homes. If you cannot adopt, there are other means to help them.
You may check out the following pages for information.
I fell in love with cats, and they have a forever place in my heart.